Friday, January 8, 2010

RichAndStrange

The most important thing in this first blog is to give credit to the bloggers I admire: 1. RICH-for education with elan: lynnequist at separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/
She turns what could be a dry discussion of the differences between British and American English into a rich reward of linguistic tidbits.

The fact that she and her husband elected to name their daughter Grover should not be held against her. I have stopped wondering why parents name their children anything.

I will say that teachers of the next wave of schoolchildren will grow very tired of calling out "Ayden, Aidan, Aden, Jayden, Jaiden, J 'Den, Kaiden, Brayden," and for variation, "Payton." I'm still waiting for M'Aden, middle name Head.

2. STRANGE-Mil Millington at http://www.mil-millington.com/ This is the author of ThingsMyGirlFriendAndIhaveArguedAbout. He has turned arguments between his girlfriend and himself into internet gold, and gave this name to his first book. (not as good as the blog, in my opinion.) I haven't read his 2nd and 3rd books, but that's my laziness.

REALLY STRANGE-His Christmas post was a picture of an toilet from a decommisioned Soviet submarine. It had bizarrely twisted blue piping, and was decorated with a "sloppily pasted sprig of copyright-free holly." If you need to see this, Google mil millington xmas.

His twisted insights cannot be duplicated by me, but I admire their insightful weirdness.

No comments:

Post a Comment