Friday, May 28, 2010

GOODNIGHT NOBODY, by Jennifer Weiner.(audiobook) Parker, Johanna, Narrator.

I liked the premise of Kate Klein,the writer-turned housewife who gets to use her investigative skills again when she falls over the murdered body of one of her neighbors. She describes her Connecticut neighborhood as making Stepford seem diverse.

I can really relate when she talks about the perfect stay at home mommies with perfect bodies who are always making crafts with their children. I REMEMBER some of these supermoms, who brought cute little pear-half bunny rabbits arranged on lettuce leaves for the Easter party at the preschool. With cute tiny little sliced almond ears, raisin eyes,and marshmallow tails. Unfortunately, the book is dragging on way too long. I no longer care which perfect neighbor has which sordid past. I thought once that Kate's old boyfriend did it, but he didn't. I'm now hoping that it's not Kate's best friend.

Narrators can make or break an audiobook, and Johanna Parker is good, not great. She really differentiates the women characters, and that's good. But she doesn't have the deeper range for the male characters, and I can't tell some of them apart. Parker is not nearly as good as Isabel Keating, who read PLAYING WITH BOYS

No comments:

Post a Comment