Tuesday, June 22, 2010

COMMENTARY: COME HERE OFTEN? by CeeViews

Recently rewarding myself with new books, I devoured KITTY IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR (werewolf with her own radio show), by Carrie Vaughn, and KITTY TAKES A VACATION (same). Then I surged through UNKNOWN, by Rachel Caine, (DJINN, genies, but of the malevolent, immortal type). The main course was BITE ME, A LOVE STORY, by the wonderful Christopher Moore (San Francisco vampires, absurd slapstick comedy matching the horror aspect). I was about to end this spree with INHUMAN RESOURCES, by Jes Battis, an Occult Scene Investigation novel set in Vancouver, a nifty change from frequently used California. Then I realized what had happened.

Five books of the same type, all urban fantasy. They includes werewolves, vampires, wizards, and other mythical/magical themes, fine works which take place in the present and don't violate known physics. Conservation of mass applies: a small one hundred twenty pound woman changes into a huge 120 pound wolf. No dragons or elves need apply, although one of the KITTY stories has a fairy. He's human sized, a seductive and evil fae, not a cute little flappy wing type. I've had some lofty pretensions about this blog, wanting people to think my reading varies from genre into sophistication, but what I'm an expert on is what I like.

I do, however, sometimes pick new books in the library area conveniently labeled NEW BOOKS or by browsing books ready to be reshelved. I checked out one this time about a pair of adult daughters whose father moves to Jerusalem and converts to Orthodox Judaism. Interesting premise. Now, back to those vampires and werewolves--see next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment