Sunday, December 19, 2010

NEVER TRUST A LADY by SUZANNE ROBINSON

I must at times take a break from heavy SFF with its wars and W-V conflicts. I recently found this light Civil War romance which chronicles the intrigues of English Lady Eva Sparrow and Texan Ryder Drake. They must foil an assassination plot which would drive Britain into coming into the war on the side of the South. Drake thinks Lady Eva is too frivolous for spying. Lady Eva thinks Drake is a brute who doesn't acknowledge her intelligence. He has to allow her to introduce him into British Society.

Their affair is hysterically PG rated. He accidentally has to hold her and is embarrassed by his physical reactions. She finds herself swooning over his kisses. He brushes his lips over her ears. "Someone has neglected your education, my little peony." Then she has to put him in his place for underestimating her fortitude, again. Together they defeat the villains, and in a final spat he says "Eva, I have no right to ask you to remain here when there's a good chance I'll be killed in this war." She bats him with her fan and replies, "How dare you misunderstand my character after all these months, Mr, Drake? I can face danger as well as you can." Then he asks her to marry him. Delicious froth.

No comments:

Post a Comment