Tuesday, October 16, 2012

THE LONG DARK TEA-TME OF THE SOUL, BY DOUGLAS ADAMS

Another oldy but goodie , TEA-TIME was published in 1990. I hadn't read any Adams since I  slogged through "LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING," and learned that the answer was 42. Bleah.

Throughout most of this book I was thinking, "This is wonderful. Why didn't anybody tell me that Douglas Adams was a comedic genius." An explosion in an airport is declared an Act of God.  But which god? Adam's world building is similar to Terry Pratchett's, and quite fun. But when I reached the end, he didn't stick the landing.

I realized that Pratchett's conclusions are sharply defined. While he doesn't  beat you over the head, you are not left, for example, in any doubt as to why a few City Guards wear sprigs of lilac in their helmets on a certain day. (NIGHT GUARD.)The ending truly satisfies the long buildup.

With Douglas Adams, I am not sure quite what happened.  The payoff doesn't reward the reader. I am reminded of Neal Stephenson who creates a fine story line in an alternate universe, and then throws it away. I would have rated Tea-Time as a five, but I'd drop it to a three for not finishing what he started. It's still worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment