Saturday, March 12, 2011

I'VE GOT A BAD FEELING

I've been noting how often the "bad feeling" phrase crops up--I can find it in most books. I knew I had heard in in Star Wars, but I wasn't aware that it had been spoken at least six times in Episode IV: A New Hope (the original Star Wars), and had become a running joke. I was thinking of:
"I have a very bad feeling about this."
―Luke Skywalker, when the Millennium Falcon approaches the Death Star
but had forgotten it had been said earlier:
"I've got a bad feeling about this."
―Han Solo, before the walls of the trash compactor start to close in

The latest place I noted it was in GHOST OF A CHANCE, on p.53, where Happy, the depressed telepath, says, "I've got a bad feeling," when the trio enter the haunted London Underground. Melody the tough tech nut replies, "You've always got a bad feeling. It's your standard default pattern. You probably had a bad feeling as you left the womb behind and headed for the light."

I thought I was really on to something no one else has noted, and then found out there's a website. I've got a bad feeling about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment