Saturday, March 12, 2011

NIGHT AT THE OPERATION, BY JEFF COHEN, A DOUBLE FEATURE MYSTERY

In a continuing effort to find new humor writers, I checked out NIGHT. This is another cozy mystery series where the unlikely detective is a guy who owns an old movie theater which only shows comedies. He rides everywhere on his bicycle and must manipulate friends for car rides. I'm not quite sure why I'm not warming up to ELLIOT FREED, but I found this book annoying. The supporting characters, especially his theater employees, are quite endearing, but superfluous to the plot. FREED'S ex-wife, Dr. Sharon, is missing and a suspect in the murder of one of her patients. FREED and Sharon are so close that they still celebrate their wedding anniversary. His tender feelings for her are a huge motivation for solving the case. I've known many divorced couples, both professionally and closer to home, and I've never known any like this. Not happening for me.

I don't know why I can better believe in a Victorian housekeeper surreptitiously solving crimes for her Scotland Yard employer than I can in a down-on-his-luck English major who owns a movie theater, but I do. I might try another DOUBLE FEATURE mystery, but maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment